CASE STUDY: Costcutter
Job function Market Analysis
Task Location Planning and Catchment Analysis
The Costcutter Supermarkets Group is a franchise operation, with more than 1,550 convenience
stores throughout the UK.
With growth of 8% during 2009 and a record £606 million turnover, Costcutter has over 600 employees across the UK.
Costcutter Supermarkets Group needed a solution that would improve the help and assistance they provide to their field sales team.
Costcutter confirmed that they needed to increase support with respect to potential and existing stores and felt that a mapping solution would achieve their objectives.
They also needed to obtain a clearer understanding of walking distances associated with potential stores and provide tools to aid the recruitment of new franchises.
Costcutter have used Geoplan GeoAnalyser to accomplish the noted objectives for over seven years now and the various output is generated for three key aspects of the business;
- Sales Force - Map output is produced in support of potential business sites and existing stores.
- Marketing - The bespoke catchment analysis tool is used to provide leaflet distribution information regarding the target market. GeoAnalyser is customisable and the Walktime tool was designed specifically for Costcutter.
- Recruitment – map output is used in support of the recruitment process to create reports and range information for potential franchisees.
In terms of satisfying the original objective, it is clear that the committed sales team use the map output on a daily basis to drive sales, control their own performance and keep ahead of the competition.
- Increased return on investment.
- Reduced wastage.
- Improved operational efficiency.
- Considerable time savings.