B&Q invests heavily in the delivery planning process. The B&Q network encompasses a wide range of customer delivery solutions, including single unit deliveries through to complex deliveries involving a variety of products with different source locations.
The Solution and The Benefits
Geoplan provides B&Q with In-Store Bespoke Postcode Maps, in support of the home delivery service.
The Maps provide a clear picture of the delivery ‘zones’ and associated pricing for each individual store.
Geoplan produce two types of Maps for B&Q stores:
- A Map that shows the geographical delivery coverage for each B&Q store. The Maps provide coverage at Postcode Sector Level detail.
- A Map that shows the delivery zones and associated pricing for each individual store, thus advising the customer of the cost of their delivery.
- Provides a clear geographical representation of each B&Q store’s delivery operation for both the customer and in-store advisors.
- Enables B&Q to create efficient delivery routes for each store, thereby reducing the direct costs associated with delivery including fuel, resource and vehicle maintenance.
- In addition to the above, reductions are made to C02 emissions, therefore supporting the drive towards a more eco-friendly delivery process.
- The Maps are built to the exact specification required by B&Q and can easily be adapted to display more layers and information.
- Delivery turnaround for the Maps is within 5 working days.
Innovation and Support
Geoplan has worked closely with B&Q over the past 18 months, to understand and support the B&Q delivery process. This has led to Geoplan providing support and presenting solutions in the following areas:
Optimisation of Store Based Vehicle Fleet
- Geoplan presented a Delivery Optimisation Solution to B&Q, which enables the optimisation of deliveries and route scheduling of the actual day-to day delivery operation.
- The System provides the ability to optimise based upon weight, store location and order location and once the vehicle optimisation has been mapped out, the results are then fed through to a route scheduling system to generate efficient routes for each individual delivery van.
In-Store Delivery Planning
Geoplan and B&Q worked together on a live trial, with the aim of providing some structure to the delivery process. As a result of the trial Geoplan presented a solution that would enable the in-store operators to automatically allocate customer deliveries, with the system considering the optimum vehicle capacity and location. Due to the strategic decision taken by B&Q to facilitate wholesale reorganisation, B&Q opted not to take these system-based solutions forwards at the time.